[FEAR] Of Fear and Longing: Art Exhibition Tours | State of Motion 2019
Of Fear and Longing: Art Exhibition Tours
Horror Vacui, 2019
By Lekker Architects
Fear and Longing, two sides of the same coin when it comes to the popular appeal of horror films. What is it about Asian horror films in particular that elicits fear beyond the jump scares of a film? And if fear is such a negative emotion, why are horror films so popular? What does our desire to be afraid tell us about ourselves and what we secretly and perhaps fearfully long for?
FEAR is a thematic exhibition tour that explores how some of the artists in the exhibition, much like horror filmmakers, have examined and utilised fear as a medium. Like monsters, art has been said to be warnings or omens pointing out what we should be wary of. But what does our fear of the monster tell us about ourselves, our shared histories and our anxieties for the future?
Foreign Affairs #59, 2018
By Heman Chong
25 & 26 January, 1,2,8 & 9 February 2019
(Fridays and Saturdays)
11 Kampong Bugis
7:30pm - 1.30am (1.5hrs per tour)
10 Tours Nightly (5 Tours per theme) | 10 pax per tour | $8 per tour ticket
Tour 1: 7.30pm - 9pm
Tour 2: 8.30pm - 10pm
Tour 3: 9.30pm - 11pm
Tour 4: 10.30pm - 12am
Tour 5: 11.30pm - 1am
Please take note that timings for consecutive tours overlap if you choose to go for both tours (Fear and Longing) on the same day. For example, if you are going for Tour 1 (Fear) from 7.30 - 9pm, please book from Tour 3 (Longing) onwards.
*Tour participants must be 18 years old and above. Please ensure that you meet the minimum age requirement before purchasing tickets as age verification will be conducted if you look under 18.
*Please register at our information booth located at 11 Kampong Bugis, 15 minutes before your scheduled tour time. Latecomers will bear the risk of missing the tour.
*Please refer to Conditions of Sales (below) for further details.
No Gods No Masters and A News Paper, 2019
By Sung Tieu
ABOUT THE TOURS
2 or 3 Tigers, 2015
By Ho Tzu Nyen
A key programme of State of Motion 2019: A Fear of Monsters, Of Fear and Longing are guided night tours which take visitors through 2 different routes of the art exhibition at 11 Kampong Bugis, exploring varied responses to our fear of monsters. Featuring works by renown contemporary Southeast Asian artists Heman Chong, Ho Tzu Nyen, Sung Tieu, Viêt Lê, Yason Banal, and Yee I-Lann, with new commissions by Fyerool Darma, Ho Rui An, Shubigi Rao and architecture firm, Lekker.
Participants may choose from two themes: ‘Fear’ and ‘Longing’.
Get tickets for LONGING: https://som19longing.peatix.com
Of Fear and Longing is developed in partnership with visual and performance artist, ila. The tours are an extension of her research process as part of her current project Spirits of Echoes, which maps the collective psyche of Singapore through the collection of personal narratives of hauntings, spirits and ghosts. Each tour is highly interactive. It begins with a sharing session around the tour’s theme and ends with participants contributing to a fictional map based on past and future representations of Singapore.
Tours will not be didactic but will develop through a series of questions about your individual experiences of Singapore, of the films referenced and of the artworks on display. You should come prepared to meet new people and hear new stories about the island we share.
ila is a visual and performance artist who works with found objects, moving images and live performance. She seeks to create alternative nodes of experience and entry points into the peripheries of the unspoken, the tacit and the silenced. With light as her medium of choice, ila weaves imagined narratives into existing realities. Using her body as a space of tension, negotiation and confrontation, ila creates work that generate discussions about gender, history and identity in relation to pressing contemporary issues.
About State of Motion 2019: A Fear of Monsters
Visit our Facebook page for a full list of programmes happening during State of Motion 2019: A Fear of Monsters.
State of Motion 2019: A Fear of Monsters investigates the histories and trajectories of Asian horror and focuses on the monsters at the intersections of art, popular culture and cinema.
From the multilingual Pontianak to the genre defining oily man who seeped his way across borders, monsters have entertained and united us through our fear. Audiences should be very afraid.
23 January - 24 February 2019
Presented by Asian Film Archive
Curated by Kathleen Ditzig
Part of Singapore Art Week
CONDITIONS OF SALE
By purchasing the ticket, you (“Ticket Holder”) agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of sale specified herein and any other provision as may be specified from time to time by the Asian Film Archive (“Organiser”). The Organiser, their agents or employees shall not be liable for any death, personal injury (unless caused by negligence of The Organiser or its agents and employees), loss and damages however caused while at the venue or on tour nor are they liable for any complaints, claims, refunds, or exchange for any reason, including without limitation, cancellation or postponement of the event. Booking fees and handling fees shall not be refundable. Any refunds shall be made only at The Organiser’s discretion.
Tickets are sold subject to the following conditions:
· Once sale is completed, no exchange of tickets will be made. No refunds will be made except pursuant to event postponement or cancellation and at the Organiser’s discretion. Lost ticket/s will not be replaced or refunded.
· Entry will be refused if tickets have been found to be tampered, counterfeited, and/or not purchased through Asian Film Archive's Peatix event page.
· The tour programme will commence according to schedule promptly. Latecomers will bear the risk of missing the tour and no exchange of tours or refunds will be made.
· The Organiser reserves the right, without refund or compensation, to refuse access/evict any person(s) whose conduct is disorderly or inappropriate.
· The Organiser may add, withdraw or substitute artistes and/or vary advertised programmes, event times, and audience capacity without prior notice.
· The Organiser may use the ticket holder’s image or likeness in any live or recorded video display, picture, publicity material or website.
· The Organiser may postpone, cancel, interrupt or stop the event due to adverse weather, dangerous situations, or any other causes beyond their reasonable control.
· The Ticket Holder agrees to submit to any searches for prohibited items including but not limited to weapons, controlled, dangerous and illegal substances.
· The Ticket Holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event whether occurring prior to, during or subsequent to the actual event, including any death, personal injury, loss, damage, or liability.
· By transacting on this website, purchaser certifies that he/she is at least 18 years of age and understands and accepts these conditions of use.
· Singapore law shall govern the sale of all tickets and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Singapore court.
- The event description was updated. Diff#400746 2019-01-12 08:28:47
Add to Calendar
Jan 25 - Feb 9, 2019
[ Fri ] - [ Sat ]
7:30 PM - 11:30 PM SGT
[ Fri ] - [ Sat ]
7:30 PM - 11:30 PM SGT
- 11 Kampong Bugis
25 Jan, Fri | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) SOLD OUT $8.00 25 Jan, Fri | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) SOLD OUT $8.00 25 Jan, Fri | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 25 Jan, Fri | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 25 Jan, Fri | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00 26 Jan, Sat | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) $8.00 26 Jan, Sat | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) $8.00 26 Jan, Sat | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 26 Jan, Sat | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 26 Jan, Sat | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00 1 Feb, Fri | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) $8.00 1 Feb, Fri | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) $8.00 1 Feb, Fri | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 1 Feb, Fri | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 1 Feb, Fri | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00 2 Feb, Sat | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) $8.00 2 Feb, Sat | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) $8.00 2 Feb, Sat | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 2 Feb, Sat | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 2 Feb, Sat | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00 8 Feb, Fri | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) SOLD OUT $8.00 8 Feb, Fri | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) SOLD OUT $8.00 8 Feb, Fri | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 8 Feb, Fri | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 8 Feb, Fri | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00 9 Feb, Sat | 7.30pm - 9pm (Tour 1 - Fear) $8.00 9 Feb, Sat | 8.30pm - 10pm (Tour 2 - Fear) $8.00 9 Feb, Sat | 9.30pm - 11pm (Tour 3 - Fear) $8.00 9 Feb, Sat | 10.30pm - 12am (Tour 4 - Fear) $8.00 9 Feb, Sat | 11.30pm - 1am (Tour 5 - Fear) $8.00
On sale until Feb 9, 2019, 11:30:00 PM
- Venue Address
- 11 Kampong Bugis, Singapore 338988 Singapore
Asian Film Archive2,369 Followers
Want to find more groups and events like this?